Douglas K

Greetings from Florida

I live in the Tampa, FL area, and have been learning guitar for about a year. I actually started learning as a way to keep my brain healthy after noticing that I was losing some sharpness as I get older. (This video was what gave me the ideahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0JKCYZ8hng) But, though it's been much more challenging than I expected, it's also much more rewarding and has become an obsession. I'm not really sure how much it's done to improve my brain though :)

Currently, I mostly just strum open chords while I sing. I'm just beginning to learn barre chords and scales, and some finger and flat picking. I've tried quite a few different online, free and paid, methods for learning guitar, but it seems none of them really teach you how to practice. That's what led me to TAC and FW.

I'm hoping to grasp a better understanding of how the fretboard is laid out, and internalize that knowledge, so I can begin to improvise and jam with other musicians.

@Douglas K welcome and have to admire your tenacity. You’ll find FW to be a great help in learning the fretboard but it’s so much more.  And that combined with TAC philosophy of practice will get you where you want be.  Memory loss is frightening but I believe the repetition of scales etc will create a finger memory that bypasses thought.  

Welcome Douglas! I came here in much the same way you did. Years of strumming along and not really knowing how to go any farther. In the short time I have been here, I have learned more than i have on my own over many years time. Fear not brother, you have come to the right place!!!!!